Saturday, January 9, 2010

What I hope to learn in CS3216?

Project Management/Entrepreneurial skills
-       How to learn from people?
o   Of all the multi-modal ways of learning, I found them none too exciting – What I do best is to learn from people and learn by doing.  I like learning from people and thankfully, I have a positive experience in that from my Jc biology classes to critical writing in NUS. From people, I get to ask questions, I get to share their framework, I get to empathize, to mimic, to get advice…etc. If there’s something called learning about learning, then I would like to take time to examine my learning strategy in order to fully capitalize on in. Hence, working in a group in such a high engagement environment and a diverse set of ideologies and skills presents me with an excellent opportunity to learn from people. *Glups* My glass is now empty.
o   Positive outcome:
§  Ability to learn with greater effectiveness
§  Be able to describe how I can learn effectively using a framework and how this process can be affected or enhanced
§  Learn from a greater spectrum of people
§  Deliver value to the person I learn from
-       How to communicate clearly and effectively
o   My mentor Mr Tong and many people remarked that my ideas come up in random torrents, which are hard to follow. Yes, there’s no doubt that I have the basic ability to express myself, but I tend to be too spontaneous in relating ideas. Communications is also about empathy and listening, of which I can improve on. I want to be able to communicate problems/solution in a comprehensive and comprehensible manner
o   Positive outcomes:
§  As Covey has it “Seek to understand, then to be understood”
§  Having engaged my listener
§  To be able to present strategies and abstract ideas better
§  To give others a sense of clarity when speaking
-       Empower teams – synergy and complementation
o   Teamwork is extremely important, is the factor that makes the difference between an excellent project versus lousy one, an enjoyable experience versus draining one. 2 things: I love people in general and I don’t think I am very smart (like Nobel/Turing smart), to be the principle PI or lead engineer, but I am have a good sense of people’s skill set and what a successful team requires.
o   Hence this is what I need to learn how to do:
§  To be able to understand the motivations of others
§  To be able to bring people together (aspirations, fears, hopes, party, music), rally them and work towards a common idea
§  To be able to help others shine and do their best – To this I say, “Don’t fall before me. I would be damn sure that I would be the last person to fall!” – As least that’s the idea
§  Bond the team
§  Pace the team

Learning about myself
-       What is it necessary to be self-aware and self critical and to learn from feedbacks

o   It is important to learn about oneself. The “I” is a character sculpted both by experience and one's own hands. The "I" is continuously being tweaked and redefined (sometimes slightly, sometimes in a whole bunch of ways one never thought possible). Despite the exterior, I do believe that the inner principles, analogously, the materials, are unchanging. Hence, as the artist in shaping my Life, I acutely feel the need to be aware of my fundamental principles (the physics and constrain and beauty of which I am made up of) and the shape which I am sculpting. In my mind’s eye, I would see something, an product of sort, but it would be helpful, I could get the opinions of others.
-       Not to be to hung up on analogies, these are the questions I hope to answer. Which are only answerable by action and experience.
o   Do I have what it takes and the courage to live my Life to the fullest?.
o   What drives me? I want a clear answers to my whys
o   What leads to my failure? And conversely, what enables me to succeed?
o   What are my limits?

Software development and technical skills
-       Flash – I like working with flash, its fun and its product is interactive and is able to encapsulate motion.
o   Positive outcomes:
§  Simple game (scrolling shooter, perhaps) or evolutionary algorithm proof of concept simulation
§  Have a better understanding of user interface and human computer interaction.
-       Product development cycles (execution)
o   It’s crucial to be aware of the game that I am in.
o   Positive outcomes:
§  Template for product development execution/expectations
§  Questions on how to improve effectiveness/efficiencies?
§  How to integrate teams with this cycle.
-       Fast-prototyping strategies.           
o   Hmm… I guess I have to work out what this is about first. =D


God. I love people and love sharing ideas. (=

Now, it’s clearer. Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment