Saturday, January 16, 2010

Afterthoughts and Insights from the Conversation with Mr Ong Peng Tsin

I thought I could do a post from this event since I have glean quite a few insights from Mr Ong, who is to me a true blue, passionate and serial entrepreneur (profile below). It is insightful to have engaged him in a conversational Question and Answer session: some of his remarks has poked at my paradigms and forced me to reconsider what I took for granted as reality.

Clarity -  This is perhaps Mr Ong's strongest point and what I needed most. is to know what you want and why and to be clear on one's thought processes. It really happens to see reality for what it is rather than through a veil of idealistic denial (oh, it could get better~! I tend to stray into this track sometimes as I have an idealistic take on things) or a fog of ignorance. It pays to reflect upon my Life and question my principles and beliefs for it helps me understand myself, which therefore allows me to live a Life that is true to myself. Clarity also comes from being honest with oneself, taking feedback and being rigorous in one's thought processes.

Balance - The caveat to success and high performance is that one would live an unbalanced Life. Hmm... I do not quite agree to this statement, although I see some through in it. Superficially, I could argue that, it's because Life is always in disequilibrium, especially those who causes more ripples (in the process of doing more and wanting to live Life to the fullest), hence Life is always unbalanced.

Ultimately, rhetorics would only provide one with a clearer picture and a grasp on the subject matter. It is really what a person believes in that determines one's course of action and the execution that instantiates the intent. I believe that I should strive for balance in my Life between physical, mental, social and spiritual dimensions. They might go out of balance, and I might over extent in times like now, but I would like to development myself wholesomely and experience the fullest of what each dimension has to offer. Surely, learning is much different from completing a dance which is different from having a deep conversation with a friend. (= I strive for balance.

Some other lessons and thoughts in points:

"A start up has to be done in such a way that you would not regret when it blows a whole in a ground!" - Yep, we had fun and paid for the lesson... moving on.

A good self check is this question "Is this the best way I am spending my time right now?"- which draws a parallel to Steve Job's comment that we should ask ourselves every morning in the mirror, "If this the last day for me to live, am I going to do, what I am going to do?" - My answer - hell, yes~! At least I would think though and decided that I am going to live a "Hell, yes~!" day. =D

Technical points which are invaluable to me:

How to get fast failures and fast prototyping own in biotech start ups? (Recently, I am doing my own survey at the capital/expenditure value of the Life science market which is (not) surprisingly diverse)

High IP translate into high margin.


Mr Ong's profile:

Mr Ong Peng Tsin founded Encentuate in 2002 to address the need to provide enterprises with strong and usable digital identity systems. Encentuate was acquired by IBM in March 2008.
Prior to founding Encentuate, Mr Ong was the founder and chairman of Interwoven, Inc., the leading provider of content infrastructure. He was the president and CEO of Interwoven through 1997, and its chairman through 2002. During his tenure at Interwoven he led the company to a successful IPO (NASDAQ: IWOV). For his leadership in building Interwoven into the world's leading provider of enterprise-class content infrastructure software, in 2002 Mr Ong was awarded the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign College of Engineering's Alumni Award for Distinguished Service.

Before Interwoven, Mr Ong was co-founder and chief architect of Electric Classifieds, Inc.—the creators of Match.com. He has also held various engineering and management roles at Illustra (now IBM Informix), Sybase Inc., and Gensym Corporation.

Mr Ong co-authored numerous patents for technologies developed at Electric Classifieds, Interwoven, and Encentuate.

More recently in 2002, Mr Ong served as one of the twenty members of Singapore's Economic Review Committee. The ERC was a high-level committee whose task was to review the economic plans for the future of Singapore. He serves on the board of the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore. He is a founding member of the Majulah Connection and contributes to the Action Committee for Entrepreneurship. Peng chairs the InfoComm Investment Pte Ltd (IIPL) fund which promotes innovative information & communication technology businesses in Singapore.

Mr Ong graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and received his Masters of Science in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About your point on balance, i think it really depends from person to person. Doing something you love 18hrs a day might be balance to you, but not to someone else. What do you think?

reuben

Toms said...

I am alluding to Stephen Covey's 4 encompassing of a person which are mental, physical, social and spiritual.

It is not necessarily unbalanced to be doing something that I love for 18 hours, if that something (say starting up combio firm and pursuing combio research for eg) allows me to connect with people (social), learn from people (mental) and gives me meaning in Life (spiritual), provided that I dont waste my Life away by doing this sprawled in front of a company but moving to spaces and seeing things (physical). I might dance too next time and take my family to places that I travel to work.

In describing to you very simply my dream Life, I have let on my conception of balance.

Everyone might have a different take on balance, but i dont think everyone is too far off from this sense of it because it is necessarily true that we would love to grow and be fulfilled in 4 dimensions.

Post a Comment