Monday, January 25, 2010

Cloud Computing

Last night I had the privilege to be given a lecture by a technological evangelist, Simone Brunozzi, from Amazon Web Services which runs the world premier cloud computing services.

Truth to be told, I already had a mind for putting up all my computational research on the cloud next time because I intent to fly light on my bootstrap styled startup, yet aim to deliver high-performance computational biology services. The cloud offers me the freedom, scalability, power that I can possibility need.


What Simone gave me instead was a few realization that were invaluable:

· most high costing, on-demand computation services would be moved on to the cloud simply because the cloud will operate much like a public utility because it simply makes economic sense

· In order to leverage on the cloud, my programs have to written in a parallelization and scalable(distributed computing architecture) – like the Apache Hadoop architecture

· Huge bioinformatics databases like Genbank operates on the cloud, which I never knew. I guess the whole bioinfo sector would start moving into the could with the first movers already present. This is a good thing which would reduce cost and increase performance.

· He cautions that network resources and performance cannot scale in accordance to Moore’s law. And I wonder why. Few ideas that I can think of which supports this hypothesis: But I am really not sure if this is true.

o      Exponential complexity of network operations with a lot of callbacks and crossed talks

o      Limitations of physical infrastructure

o      No possibility improvement beyond the optimized network algorithm/resource sharing (p2p, virtualization, caching…) May be there are better algorithms/architectures to be discovered.



I think this might be a fraction of what Prof Tan (Bioinfomatics) saw in cloud computing. (=

1 comment:

Bernard S. said...

whoa.. I think you're on the something great here.. Will be good to see how cloud computing works out (haha, last night's lecture was a taad too technical for me)..

Post a Comment